Sweet dalia is a nutritious breakfast for growing kids and especially new moms. It is rich in iron and protein with fewer calories. Cracked wheat is high in fiber.
Approx. 2 servings
- Broken wheat (Dalia) – 1 cup
- Grated Jaggery (Gur) – 3/4 cup
- Clarified butter (Ghee) – 1/4 cup
- Cashews, Almonds – 1/2 cup (coarsely chopped)
- Cardamom powder (Elaichi) – 1 tsp
- Golden raisins – 1 tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Freshly grated coconut – 1/2 cup(optional
- Dry roast coarsely chopped cashews and almonds and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, roast Dalia with ghee on medium-low heat. Let it roast for 7-8 minutes or till it gives roasted aroma.
- In a sauce pan, add water and milk. Bring it to a boil.
- Add it to roasted Dalia. Mix well to avoid any lumps. Cook it covered for 3-4 minutes on low heat.
- Add grated jaggery and grated coconut. Mix well.
- Add cardamom powder, golden raisins and roasted nuts to dalia. Let it cook for few more minutes, till it turns dry.
Moong dal (yellow split lentil) is very healthy and easy to digest. It can be used to make these simple crepes with onions and green chilies. Enjoy these crepes for breakfast or evening snack.
Approx. 4 servings
- Moong dal (yellow split lentil) – 2 cups
- Ginger – 1 inch piece grated
- Green chili – 1 finely chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Cilantro – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Cooking oil for pan frying
- Wash and soak moong dal in water for around 4 hours.
- Grind the dal, green chili and ginger to a smooth paste. Add little water if required.
- In a large bowl, add batter, chopped cilantro, turmeric powder, salt and cumin seeds.
- Add little water to make the batter of a thick pouring consistency. Mix well.
- Heat a tawa (griddle) or a non-stick pan. Apply ½ tbsp oil to it.
- On medium heat, pour a ladle full of batter and spread it in a circle, moving from the center to the outer edges like making dosa or any pancake.
- Pour a teaspoon of oil along the sides, and let it cook on medium heat. Flip and let it cook on each side till it becomes golden brown.
- Repeat the above process with the remaining batter.
Serve hot with Green cilantro chutney or ketchup.
Eggless banana walnut muffins
This is a classic recipe for making eggless banana walnut muffins. You can substitute walnuts with any nut of your choice for this recipe.
- Ripe bananas – 3
- Sugar – 3/4 cups
- All purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Melted butter – 1/3 cup
- Flax seed powder -1 tbsp + 3 tbsp water
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup coarsely chopped
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mash bananas and keep side.
- In a small bowl, add flex seed powder with 3 tbsp water. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, sift all purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add mashed bananas, flex mixture, sugar, vanilla extract, chopped nuts, salt and melted butter. Mix well.
- Line the muffin pan with paper muffin cups. Pour the above mixture in each cup. Sprinkle brown sugar on each muffin top. It gives crunch and beautiful brown color to muffins. Bake for 25 minutes or till done.
Serve banana walnut muffins warm or at room temperature for breakfast.
For 1 banana nut loaf
- Whole wheat flour – 1.25 cups (You can substitute with All purpose flour for traditional recipe)
- Chopped walnuts – 1/4 cup
- Chopped pecans – 1/4 cup
- Ripe bananas – 3 mashed
- Unsalted butter – 1/2 cup melted
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Flax seeds powder – 2 tbsp (egg substitute)
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Brown sugar – 1 cup
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsp for sprinkling on the top
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
Nutritional Facts of flax seeds:
Flax seeds contain high levels of dietary fiber including lignans, an abundance of micronutrients and omega-3 fatty acids (table). Flax seeds may lower cholesterol levels, especially in women. Initial studies suggest that flax seeds taken in the diet may benefit individuals with certain types of breast and prostate cancers. A study done at Duke university suggests that flaxseed may stunt the growth of prostate tumors, although a meta-analysis found the evidence on this point to be inconclusive. Flax may also lessen the severity of diabetes by stabilizing blood-sugar levels. There is some support for the use of flax seed as a laxative due to its dietary fiber content though excessive consumption without liquid can result in intestinal blockage. Consuming large amounts of flax seed may impair the effectiveness of certain oral medications, due to its fiber content, and may have adverse effects due to its content of neurotoxic cyanogen glycosides and immunosuppressive cyclic nonapeptides.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degree F.
- Grease a non stick loaf pan with some butter. Keep aside.
- Prepare flax paste, i.e. 2 tbsp flax seed flour + 6 tbsp water, mix well.[Flax seed flour works as egg substitute]
- In a large bowl, sift flour and baking soda.
- Now add, chopped walnuts, pecans, mashed bananas, butter, Flax seed powder dissolved in water, brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Mix well.
- Transfer the batter to the pre greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp brown sugar on the top. It gives beautiful brown color and crunch to the bread.
- Put the pan in the oven for 45 minutes or an hour. Insert a skewer in the middle, if it comes out clean, banana nut bread is done.
- Take it out of the oven, cool it completely and then slice it.
Serve banana nut bread slice with vanilla ice-cream or a cup of coffee.
Serving healthy breakfast isn’t that hard. This easy recipe calls for what you mostly have in your refrigerator and pantry. And yes it requires no cooking skills :-).
Approx. 4 servings
- Organic vanilla yogurt – 2 cups
- Fresh strawberries – 10
- Walnut & Pecans – 1/2 cup
- Kashi Go Lean Crunch Cereal – 2 cups [Or any cereal of your choice]
- Lightly toast walnuts and pecans in a pan. Crush them in small bites. Keep aside. Cut strawberries in quarters and keep aside.
- Take four tall glasses to serve parfaits. Layer each glass with 2 tbsp of vanilla yogurt. Now add 4-5 strawberry pieces, add 2 tbsp of cereal and 1 tbsp of nuts.
- Repeat the same sequence, yogurt, strawberry, cereal and nuts in all four glasses. Garnish with strawberries.
- Serve immediately or for later use, cover these glasses with cellophane wrap and refrigerate.
Enjoy as a yummy and healthy breakfast.
This is a very healthy and nutritious recipe for the breakfast or for lunch. Broken wheat or Dalia has high ratio of calcium, vitamins, iron and other essential nutrients which are critical to the growth and health of the body. Broken wheat is a great source of daily fiber. It becomes even healthier, when we add all the vegetables we have. It makes it more flavorful and yummy.
For Vegetable Dalia [2 servings]
Dalia (Cracked wheat) – 1 cup
Sweet onion – ½ cup (sliced)
Green peas – ¼ cup (fresh or frozen)
Green beans – ¼ cup (fresh or frozen)
Tomato – ¼ cup diced
Carrots – ¼ cup diced
Cauliflower – 1/2 cup (cut into small florets)
Jeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Green chili – 1 tsp minced [OPTIONAL]
Ghee [Clarified butter] -1/2 tbsp
Cooking oil – 1tbsp
Salt to taste
- In a pan, dry roast Dalia with ½ tbsp of Ghee or butter till it becomes golden. Keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat 1 tbsp cooking oil. Add sliced onions to it. Sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Now add peas, beans, cauliflower, tomatoes and carrots to it. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add all the dry spices to it. Mix well. Add roasted Dalia to the vegetables in the pressure cooker.
- Add 2.5 cups of water to it. Pressure cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Vegetable Dalia is ready to serve.
Serve hot Dalia with fresh yogurt and masaledaar achaar [spicy pickle].
Healthy vegetable Idli (Veggie Rice cakes)
Idli is one of the healthiest southern Indian breakfasts. Plain Idli is great but with vegetables it is awesome. It can be served as a breakfast, evening snack or as a meal with sambhar and chutney. Idli is soft and easy to eat so kids love it too.
For Vegetable Idli (4 servings)
Idli batter – 4 cups
Vegetables – Carrot, cabbage, green beans [shredded] -1.5 cups
Tomato- 1 thinly sliced [Round]
Cashews – ½ cups
Cilantro leaves – ½ cup leaves
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Green chilies – 2
Curry leaves – 5-6
Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Prepare Idli batter as usual or buy it from any Indian grocery store.
- In a pan, heat cooking oil and add mustard seeds. When it starts splattering, add green chilies, curry leaves and vegetables. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Do not cook the vegetables completely as they will be cooked later with the idli batter.
- Add salt to the vegetables and cool it for few minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the Idli batter and mix well.
- For making Idlies, grease the Idli molds and arrange tomato slices in some of the molds, or cilantro leaves or cashews. Now pour the idli batter in each mold and steam it.
- Once the Idlies are cooked, keep the molds aside for few minutes to cool down and then gently take the idlies off the mold and flip them. Arrange the vegetable side up in the serving plate.
Enjoy warm Idlis with green cilantro chutney or coconut chutney and sambhar.