This is a quick and non-traditional recipe for Gajar halwa or Gajrela.
Approx. 6 servings
- Carrots – 2 lbs
- Condensed milk – 1/2 can
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder (elaichi) – 1 tsp
- Almonds, pistachio, cashews – 1/2 cup chopped
- Lightly peel and grate carrots in food processor or with hand grater.
- Pressure cook the carrots for 5 minutes.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add the steamed carrots. Let the water dry out.
- Now add ghee to the carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes. Now add condensed milk to these carrots.
- Keep stirring. When it doesn’t stick to the pan anymore, it is done.
- Now add cardamom powder and nuts to it. Mix well.
Enjoy carrot pudding or gajar halwa for dessert anytime.
Colorful Grilled Vegetables
This is a simple healthy recipe to eat all the vegetables of our choice. I make it for lunch and have it with a hot cup of tomato soup. You can substitute any vegetable with your own choice of veggie. It is not just the feast for your taste buds, but a feast for your eyes too!
For Colorful Grilled Vegetables [4 servings]
Sweet Onion – 1 Medium, Sliced
Capsicum (Green Bell pepper) – 1 cup, cut into stripes
Carrot –1 cup, cut into stripes
Cauliflower – 1 cup cut into small florets
Red chili powder – 1 tsp [freshly grounded]
Chaat Masala – 1 tsp [available at all Indian grocery stores in spice section]
Lemon juice – 1 tsp OPTIONAL
Maggi hot & sweet ketchup – 1 tsp [available in all Indian grocery stores]
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees.
- Rinse and prepare all the vegetables as directed. Keep aside.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, add all the vegetables, red chili powder, lemon juice and salt. Mix well.
- Arrange all the veggies with the spices on the lined baking tray. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Take out the vegetable tray from the oven. Move the vegetables around, to get evenly baked from all the sides, and put it back in the oven for further 10 minutes on 400 degrees.
- Remove the tray from the oven and in a bowl add grilled vegetables, Maggie hot & sweet ketchup and chaat masala.
Colored grilled vegetable are ready to serve.
Lentil Soup: Comfort in a bowl
A bowl of warm soup sounds so comforting in wintry weather. Curl up near a fireplace with a bowl of aromatic soup and a good book is heaven.
Enjoy the simple and healthy lentil soup recipe from my kitchen.
For lentil Soup: [for 4 servings]
Lentils (Whole masoor) dry – 1 cup
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Kasoori Methi -1/2 tbsp
Onion -1/2 (finely chopped)
Carrots – ½ cup (finely chopped)
Celery – ½ cup (finely chopped)
Tomatoes -1 cup (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Garlic – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Green chili -1 tsp (finely chopped) [Optional]
Cilantro– 2 tbsp (finely chopped) for garnish
Vegetable stock or water – 6 cups
olive oil – 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak lentils in water for couple of hours.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat oil. Add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add chopped onions, carrots and celery. Sauté till it becomes translucent. Add ginger, garlic and chopped green chilies (optional). Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, red chili powder and coriander powder and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add the soaked lentils and vegetable stock/water to it. Simmer the soup on low heat for 35-40 minutes.
- Finally, add kasoori methi and let it simmer for 2 more minutes.
Garnish the Lentil soup with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with halved lemons.
Enjoy piping hot soup in winter nights.
Note: This soup can also be prepared in slow cooker.
Also submitted this recipe for My Legume Love Affair-19th helping event roundup, hosted by EC/Susan in,
Simple Indian Food Blog @
Super Nutritious Vegetable Cutlets
Cutlets are perfect snack for everyone. These cutlets can be used in breakfast, lunch as a burger, evening snack with tea-/lemonade or as an appetizer before formal dinner. Kids love this easy to eat snack in their lunchbox too. So try this healthy and tasty snack anytime of the day.
For Vegetable Cutlets [20 cutlets]
Green beans -1/2 cup chopped
Corn kernels – 1/2 cup frozen or fresh
Carrots-1/2 cup chopped
Peas- 1/2 cup
Cabbage-1 cup finely chopped
Potatoes – 3 medium
Bread slices- 3
Cashews- 1/3 cup chopped
Walnuts- 1/3 cup chopped
Cilantro -1/3 cup chopped
Suji (Semolina)- ½ cup coarse
Chaat Masala – 1 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Amchur(Dried mango powder) -1 tsp
Garam masala -1 tsp
Roasted Cumin seeds – 1 tsp (powdered)
Salt as per taste
- Cut green beans and carrots accordingly and add corn kernels (or you can use mixed vegetables for the frozen section) in a bowl.
- Peel and cut potatoes in chunks. Pressure cook cut vegetables, peas and potatoes till done.
- In a large bowl, combine boiled veggies, chopped cabbage, bread slices, chopped nuts, ketchup and all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Oil your palm, take lemon sized mixture and flatten it in desired shape.
- In a plate sprinkle suji and cover the cutlets with it on both the sides.
- Shallow-fry the cutlets using very little oil.
Serve hot with ketchup or green chutney.