A simple pleasure: Veggie grilled cheese sandwich
Winter is here! The best lunch option for wintry days is grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of chunky hot soup. I have learned this simple yet special art of cooking grill cheese sandwich from my hubby. You can add any vegetable you like or make it just adding cheese. I’ll be posting yummy soup recipes soon.
To make 4 sandwiches
Bread slices [White or brown] – 8
Butter- 2 tbsp
Cheese slices – 8 [Kraft singles American cheese]
Tomatoes – 1 [finely chopped]
Sweet onions – ½ [finely chopped]
Avocados – 1 [sliced]
Cilantro – ½ cup leaves
Freshly crushed black pepper – 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Preheat skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Butter both sides of each bread slice and grill on one side until brown.
- Now flip the bread slices and take the skillet off the heat. Arrange one slice cheese, tomatoes, onions, avocadoes, cilantro, salt and pepper. Finally add one more cheese slice and the other bread slice [grilled side down].
- Carefully place the skillet on the heat again and press the sandwich down with heavy pan or any other griddle.
- Let it grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted.
- Take the sandwich off the heat and place on the cutting board for 2 minutes. Then cut diagonally and enjoy.
Grilled cheese sandwich can be served warm with any soup of your choice.
Stuffed Cutlets: Mutter ki bharwan tikki
These cutlets are my all time favorite. You cannot go wrong with this🙂 . Simple yet delicious.
For Stuffed Cutlets: [Approx. 12 cutlets]
Potatoes – 5 medium
White bread [decrusted] –2 slices
Green Peas [fresh or frozen] – 2 cups
Cumin seeds [Jira] – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
Oil for frying
salt as per taste
- Boil and peel the potatoes and keep aside.
- Mash all the potatoes and add 1 tsp red chili powder and some salt to it. Also add 2 slices of bread. Combine the ingredients into smooth dough.
- For stuffing, in a pan add 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Add cumin seeds to it. Let is splatter and then add fresh or frozen [defrosted] to the pan. Also add 1 tsp red chili powder and salt. Sauté the peas for 3-4 minutes on medium high heat.
- In a grinder, grind the sautéed peas coarsely. Keep aside for cooling down. Make marble sized balls of the stuffing.
- Take one drop of oil on both the palms and take lemon size mashed potatoes and stuff it with the stuffing balls and make round or oval shaped patties.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium hot. Fry the patties in the hot oil till they become golden brown.
- Drain the patties on a kitchen towel.
Serve hot patties with tea or coffee with green chutney or ketchup on the side.
My recipe is also included in the French site database: