This healthy salad can easily replace your lunch. It looks appetizing and tastes great as well.
Kidney Beans: A cup of cooked kidney beans provides 45.3% of the recommended daily intake for fiber. Kidney beans are an excellent source of the trace mineral, molybdenum, an integral component of the enzyme sulfite oxidase, which is responsible for detoxifying sulfites. Just one cup of cooked kidney beans supplies 177.0% of the daily value for molybdenum.
In addition to lowering cholesterol, kidney beans’ high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making these beans an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia.
Black eyed beans: Like most beans, black-eyed beans are rich in the best sort of fiber – soluble fiber – which helps to eliminate cholesterol from the body. They are a good source of folate, potassium, copper, phosphorous and manganese. As a high-potassium, low-sodium food they help reduce blood pressure. Not only are they low in fat, but when combined with grains, beans supply high quality protein which provides a healthy alternative to meat or other animal protein. Beans also contain protease inhibitors which frustrate the development of cancerous cells.
Ingredients: For Bean Salad (6 servings)
Kidney Beans – 3/4 cup (dry)
Black eyed beans – ¾ cup (dry)
Green peas -1/2 cup (dry)
Butter beans -3/4 cup (dry)(optional)
Corn kernels – 1/2 cup (frozen or fresh)
Sweet Onions -1
Tomatoes – 2
Cilantro -1/2 cup
Lime Juice – 2 tbsp fresh
Freshly crushed Garlic – 2 cloves
Extra virgin Olive oil -1 tbsp
Chaat Masala – 1 tbsp
Black Pepper – 1 tsp
Roasted Cumin seeds – 1 tsp (powdered)
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
- Soak all the beans overnight in the separate bowls.
- Next morning, boil kidney beans and keep aside. Now boil black-eyed beans, butter beans and green peas together. Keep aside.
- For salad dressing, In a bowl, add extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, crushed garlic and all the dry ingredients. Whisk together for a minute. Dressing is ready, keep aside.
- Thaw frozen corn kernels in microwave for 2 minutes.
- In a covered sauce pan, cook the fresh or thawed corn kernels for 5 minutes. Cool it down.
- Chop sweet onions, tomatoes and cucumber finely. Clean and chop cilantro finely as well.
- In a salad bowl, add boiled kidney beans, black-eyed beans, butter-beans, green peas, cooked corn kernels, chopped sweet onions, cucumber, tomatoes and cilantro.
- Now prepared salad dressing to the salad. Mix salad gently. Serve chilled. Prepared salad can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Serve fresh with any meal or just as an anytime snack.