Bruschetta is my family favorite for Friday evenings. It is full of flavor with fresh ingredients and very simple to make. You can add any fresh vegetable you like as a topping.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Approximate: 6 servings
- French bread or Italian bread – 1 baguette
- Fresh Tomatoes – 3 chopped
- Sweet onion – 1 chopped
- Fresh basil leaves or Cilantro leaves – 10 chopped.
- Olive oil – 1/4 cup
- Fresh garlic cloves – 3 minced
- Shredded mozzarella cheese – 1.5 cup
- Freshly ground black pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Salt as per taste taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, sweet onions, chopped basil or cilantro, minced garlic, olive oil, salt and black pepper. Mix gently and keep aside.
- Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
- Spoon tomato-onion mix on each slice evenly. Top the slices with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Eggless blueberry muffins are great for healthy breakfast or a snack.
Approx. 12 muffins
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- All-purpose flour – 2 cups ( I used 1 cup whole wheat flour + 1 cup all purpose flour)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 4 tsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Melted butter – 3 tbsp
- Fresh or frozen blueberries – 1 cup
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in milk and melted butter slowly . Fold in blueberries.
- Fill each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Here is an easy no-stove pasta recipe. It can be prepared before hand. And you are sure to impress the guests!
Approx. 6 servings
- Shredded mozzarella cheese – 4 cups
- Ricotta cheese – 1 (15 ounce) container
- Frozen chopped spinach – 1 (10 ounce) package thawed and drained
- Jumbo pasta shells – 1 (12 ounce) package cooked and drained
- Pasta sauce – 1 (28 ounce) jar
- Salt as per taste
- Freshly ground black pepper – 1 tsp
- Cook jumbo pasta shells as directed on the package. Do not overcook them. Keep them al dente.
- Preheat oven at 370 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses and spinach; stuff into shells.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly grease it.
- Apply a layer of pasta sauce in the cookie sheet.
- Arrange stuffed shells on the layer of pasta sauce. Pour remaining pasta sauce over the shells. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Uncover the sheet. Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on the stuffed pasta shells and bake it uncovered for another 5 minutes, till the cheese melts and turns golden and crusty.
Enjoy warm Stuffed jumbo pasta shells with your favorite salad on the side.
Eggless banana walnut muffins
This is a classic recipe for making eggless banana walnut muffins. You can substitute walnuts with any nut of your choice for this recipe.
- Ripe bananas – 3
- Sugar – 3/4 cups
- All purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Melted butter – 1/3 cup
- Flax seed powder -1 tbsp + 3 tbsp water
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup coarsely chopped
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mash bananas and keep side.
- In a small bowl, add flex seed powder with 3 tbsp water. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, sift all purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add mashed bananas, flex mixture, sugar, vanilla extract, chopped nuts, salt and melted butter. Mix well.
- Line the muffin pan with paper muffin cups. Pour the above mixture in each cup. Sprinkle brown sugar on each muffin top. It gives crunch and beautiful brown color to muffins. Bake for 25 minutes or till done.
Serve banana walnut muffins warm or at room temperature for breakfast.
For 1 banana nut loaf
- Whole wheat flour – 1.25 cups (You can substitute with All purpose flour for traditional recipe)
- Chopped walnuts – 1/4 cup
- Chopped pecans – 1/4 cup
- Ripe bananas – 3 mashed
- Unsalted butter – 1/2 cup melted
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Flax seeds powder – 2 tbsp (egg substitute)
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Brown sugar – 1 cup
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsp for sprinkling on the top
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
Nutritional Facts of flax seeds:
Flax seeds contain high levels of dietary fiber including lignans, an abundance of micronutrients and omega-3 fatty acids (table). Flax seeds may lower cholesterol levels, especially in women. Initial studies suggest that flax seeds taken in the diet may benefit individuals with certain types of breast and prostate cancers. A study done at Duke university suggests that flaxseed may stunt the growth of prostate tumors, although a meta-analysis found the evidence on this point to be inconclusive. Flax may also lessen the severity of diabetes by stabilizing blood-sugar levels. There is some support for the use of flax seed as a laxative due to its dietary fiber content though excessive consumption without liquid can result in intestinal blockage. Consuming large amounts of flax seed may impair the effectiveness of certain oral medications, due to its fiber content, and may have adverse effects due to its content of neurotoxic cyanogen glycosides and immunosuppressive cyclic nonapeptides.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degree F.
- Grease a non stick loaf pan with some butter. Keep aside.
- Prepare flax paste, i.e. 2 tbsp flax seed flour + 6 tbsp water, mix well.[Flax seed flour works as egg substitute]
- In a large bowl, sift flour and baking soda.
- Now add, chopped walnuts, pecans, mashed bananas, butter, Flax seed powder dissolved in water, brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Mix well.
- Transfer the batter to the pre greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp brown sugar on the top. It gives beautiful brown color and crunch to the bread.
- Put the pan in the oven for 45 minutes or an hour. Insert a skewer in the middle, if it comes out clean, banana nut bread is done.
- Take it out of the oven, cool it completely and then slice it.
Serve banana nut bread slice with vanilla ice-cream or a cup of coffee.
For approx. 5 Servings
Paneer – 1 lb
Bell Pepper (red, green or yellow) – 2
Mushrooms small whole – 20
Pineapple chunks – 2 cups
Sweet onions – 1
Ginger minced – 1 tbsp
garlic minced – 1 tbsp
Green chili paste – 1 tbsp
Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
Thick yogurt – 2 cups
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
Honey – 1 tbsp
Tandoori masala – 1 tbsp
Tandoori food color – 1 pinch
Salt to taste
- Cut paneer into 1 inch by 1 inch cubes. Keep aside. Cut bell peppers and onions in big chunks.
- To prepare marinade, add all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Now add all the cut vegetables and paneer to the marinade. Gently mix well.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for couple of hours.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 5 minutes. Take them out and wipe them. Keep aside. Or you can use metal skewers without soaking them in the water.
- Preheat oven on 375 degrees.
- Arrange paneer pieces on skewers alternately with bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and pineapple.
- Place the skewers on a grill or wire rack brushed with some oil. Grill for 15 minutes turning once in between.
- Cook till paneer pieces get golden brown on all the sides.
Serve hot with mint cilantro green chutney or Maggie hot and ketchup.
Ingredients: For 1 apple pie [Serves 6]
Pillsbury pie crust for 9 inch pan (2 sheets)
Assorted apples – 7 peeled, sliced
Brown Sugar – 1 cup
All purpose flour -2 tbs
Almonds – 1/4 cup crushed (for crunch)
Lemon juice -2 tbsp
Cinnamon ground -1 tsp
Nutmeg ground -1 pinch
Cardamom powder -1/2 tsp
Salt – 1 pinch
Butter -2 tbsp
- Thaw the frozen pastry sheets to room temperature.
- Peel and slice apples.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice.
- Combine sugar, flour, crushed almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and salt. Add apples and toss well to coat evenly.
- Line the pie pan with one of the thawed pastry sheet.
- Fill pastry lined pie pan with apple mixture. Add butter on the top.
- Place second crust on a plain surface and cut into strips.
- Now arrange the strips on the top of pie filling in criss cross manner., Seal the edges of the crust by hand.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream after any meal.