Approx. 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 mins (except soaking time)
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Almonds – 2 cups
- Milk – 1 quart
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder (elaichi) – 1 tsp
- Saffron (kesar) – 1/4 tsp
- Soak almonds in water over night.
- Next morning, peel the almonds and keep aside.
- Coarsely grind half of the peeled almonds using very little milk. Keep the coarse paste aside.
Slice rest of the almonds.
- In a heavy bottom pan, boil milk. Once it is boiled, add saffron strands and cardamom powder and let it simmer on low heat till it reduces to half of volume.
- Now add coarse almond paste and half of the sliced almonds to the milk. Let it simmer for 5 more minutes. Add sugar/sugar substitute and mix well.
- Badam Kheer is ready to serve.
Garnish and Serving suggestion:
Badam kheer can be served hot or chilled. I prefer chilled. Garnish badam kheer with remaining sliced almonds and few saffron strands.