Badam Kheer is a rich and creamy dessert for all occasions. It is very easy to prepare and serve. It can be cooked in slow cooker. So make it ahead of time and serve it warm or chilled.
Approx. 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 mins (except soaking time)
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Almonds – 2 cups
- Milk – 1 quart
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder (elaichi) – 1 tsp
- Saffron (kesar) – 1/4 tsp
- Soak almonds in water over night.
- Next morning, peel the almonds and keep aside.
- Coarsely grind half of the peeled almonds using very little milk. Keep the coarse paste aside.
Slice rest of the almonds.
- In a heavy bottom pan, boil milk. Once it is boiled, add saffron strands and cardamom powder and let it simmer on low heat till it reduces to half of volume.
- Now add coarse almond paste and half of the sliced almonds to the milk. Let it simmer for 5 more minutes. Add sugar/sugar substitute and mix well.
- Badam Kheer is ready to serve.
Garnish and Serving suggestion:
Badam kheer can be served hot or chilled. I prefer chilled. Garnish badam kheer with remaining sliced almonds and few saffron strands.
Sweet dalia is a nutritious breakfast for growing kids and especially new moms. It is rich in iron and protein with fewer calories. Cracked wheat is high in fiber.
Approx. 2 servings
- Broken wheat (Dalia) – 1 cup
- Grated Jaggery (Gur) – 3/4 cup
- Clarified butter (Ghee) – 1/4 cup
- Cashews, Almonds – 1/2 cup (coarsely chopped)
- Cardamom powder (Elaichi) – 1 tsp
- Golden raisins – 1 tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Freshly grated coconut – 1/2 cup(optional
- Dry roast coarsely chopped cashews and almonds and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, roast Dalia with ghee on medium-low heat. Let it roast for 7-8 minutes or till it gives roasted aroma.
- In a sauce pan, add water and milk. Bring it to a boil.
- Add it to roasted Dalia. Mix well to avoid any lumps. Cook it covered for 3-4 minutes on low heat.
- Add grated jaggery and grated coconut. Mix well.
- Add cardamom powder, golden raisins and roasted nuts to dalia. Let it cook for few more minutes, till it turns dry.