Approx. 12 servings
- Pomegranate juice – 1 cup
- Guava juice – 2 cups
- Club soda – 1 cup
- Simple syrup – 1/2 cup
- Fresh lime juice – 4 tbsp
- Fresh mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Ice cubes – 2 cups
- Rum – 1.5 cups (10 oz.) [OPTIONAL]
In a blender add all of the above, except half mint leaves. Blend for few minutes. Pour in chilled glasses. Garnish with remaining fresh mint leaves and lime slices and serve.
Note: For non-alcoholic drink, leave rum out.
Simple Syrup: 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar, boil until sugar is completely dissolved. Cool it and use it in preparing beverages.
Beat the summer heat with refreshing Cucumber cooler drink.
Makes 6 servings approx.
- English cucumber – 3 (peeled and cubed)
- Celery – 1 cup (cubed)
- Mint leaves – 10
- Fresh lemon juice – 1/2 cup
- Honey – 2 tbsp
Mix all the ingredients in a blender. Strain and serve chilled. Garnish with cucumber slices and mint leaves.
Note: Add Vodka and convert refreshing cucumber cooler into Cucumber martini.
Chaat is the common term used for mouth watering street food in India. It has many varieties as gol guppe or pani puri, sev puri, dahi puri, chole tikki, papdi chaat, bhel puri. All of them has common mint-cilantro (green chutney) and tamarind (sweet imli) chutney. If you have all the ingredients, these chaats can be prepared in jiffy. I always keep green chutney and tamarind chutney ready in my refrigerator so preparing chaat is very easy.
The recipe here is for Sev puri dahi puri also called as SPDP, in Pune, India. I’m using store bought pani puri shells. They are as good as home made ones; sometimes even better:). These shells are versatiel, can be used with pani to eat as golguppe/ pani puri or can be prepared as sev puri dahi puri. The same recipe is also called sev batata puri beacuer the pani puri shells are filled with boiled potatoes. Enjoy this lip smacking snack.
For Sev puri dahi puri: Approx. 4 servings
- Plain Golguppe (pani puri shells) – 24
- Fine namkee sev– 2 cups
- Potatoes boiled – 2
- Sweet onion – 1 finely chopped
- Fresh cilantro – 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Tamarind chutney – 3/4 cup
Link for Tamarind Chutney:
Link for Green Chutney:
- Yogurt (dahi) -1 cup (add some salt and sugar)
- Chaat Masala – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Boil and peel potatoes. In a bowl, mash these potatoes roughly and add chaat masala and salt. Mix and keep aside.
- Finely cut sweet onions and fresh cilantro, keep aside.
- Prepare tamarind chutney and green chutney as directed. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, take yogurt; add some sugar and salt. Mix well. Keep aside.
- Now for final chaat assembly; first take puffed plain golguppe or Pani Puri and make a small hole in each of them. Fill each puri with boiled potatoes.
- Keep 6 Pani Puris in each plate. Add a ladle full of smooth yogurt mix on these puris.
- Now add a tsp tamarind chutney and green chutney on each puri.
- Top it off with chopped onions and fine namkeen sev.
- Finally garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, chaat masala, red chili powder and salt.
Enjoy this mouth watering chaat as soon as assembled, or it will get soggy.
Refreshing Drink: Torpedo Masala
Let’s welcome New-year with a tantalizing and refreshing masala drink. We wish you all very happy, healthy and energetic year ahead.
Enjoy food, Live healthy.
For Torpedo Masala [3-4 servings approx.]
Coke [regular] – 12 oz [1 can]
Deep’s Green mango juice [Aam pana] – 8 oz [1 cup]
Mango Nectar – 8 oz [1 cup]
Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
Mix all the above ingredients in the cocktail shaker and shake well. Serve chilled.
Garnish with lemon slice and fresh mint leaves.
Mint-Cilantro Chutney [Green Chutney]
One of my favorite condiments is green chutney. It is so refreshing; it reminds me of cool summer days. It can be accompanied by most of the appetizers and it is also great with a meal. It is good for health as it helps digest the food properly. You can make this chutney in bulk and freeze for weeks to come. So here comes the simple yet flavorful recipe of Mint-Cilantro chutney.
For details please go to my new and updated site:
Gobi Musallam in green gravy [Whole Cauliflower]
Last weekend we had a get-together at our place. I served this dish for the first time and everyone loved it. So I wanna share the recipe with everyone. Usually Gobi Musallam calls for red gravy but I tried it with green gravy which gives it a unique flavor. This recipe has a long list of ingredients and more than few steps to cook but the end result is worth the effort.
Gobi Musallam in green gravy [6 servings]
For Green gravy:
Cilantro – 3 bunches
Mint leaves -1 /2 bunches
Cashews -1/2 cup
Garlic – 4 cloves
Ginger – 1 inch piece (peeled and cut)
Green chili – 1
Grind all the above in food processor with very little water. Keep aside.
Other Ingredients for green gravy:
Butter – 1 tbsp
Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
Yoghurt/ Thick dahi – 1 cup
Sugar – 1.5 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Kitchen king masala – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Heat butter and oil in a pan and add the above grinded green paste. Add salt, sugar, garam masala and kitchen king masala. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add spoon by spoon yoghurt to the gravy and keep stirring. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Green gravy is ready.
For Gobi Musallam:
Gobi (Cauliflower) whole – 1 cut into half (easy to manage and stable at the bottom)
Cooking oil -1tbsp
Slivered Almonds/Cashews – 2 tbsp (for garnish)
Amchur powder (Dried mango powder) -2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 4 tbsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Kitchen king masala – 1 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) powder -1/4 tsp
Sugar – ½ tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Take a big vessel, fill it more than half with water and boil. Add some salt to it.
- Cut the Gobi in half, put both the halves in the boiling water and let it stand for 5-7 minutes. It is now half cooked.
- Take the Gobi halves out of the boiling water and set it in a lined baking tray to cool down.
- Preheat the oven on 350 degrees on bake.
- Combine all the dry spices and sugar in a bowl and mix well.
- Now very carefully rub the spice mix on the Gobi. Also fill the spice mix inside the florets to have the even flavor all around.
- Drizzle some oil on the Gobi halves and place the baking tray with Gobi in the oven. Let is cook for 45 minutes.
- Gobi is almost ready. Place the halves on the serving dish and gently pour the prepared green gravy on it.
Garnish the Gobi Musallam with slivered almonds and cashews. Enjoy with fresh roti, paratha or naan.