Dahi vada (Dumplings in spicy yogurt)
Dahi vada is a perfect summer snack. It can be made ahead of time and should be served cold, so makes it a great party dish. It is also a kid’s friendly snack.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
For Dahi vada (4 servings)
Urad dal (white) – 1cups
Moong dal (yellow) – 1/2cup
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida powder- 2 pinches
Freshly grounded black pepper – 1 tsp
Green chilies – 2
Cooking oil to fry
Salt as per taste
Yogurt – 2 cups
Whole milk – 1/2 cup
Chaat masala – 1 tsp
Black salt – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Roasted cumin powder- 1 tbsp (grounded)
Tamarind Chutney – 1/2 cup
- Wash Urad dal and moong dal thoroughly and soak it in water for 6-7 hours.
- Grind soaked dal with green chilies in fine paste using very little water. Add asafoetida powder, cumin seeds, black pepper and salt to the paste. Mix the batter for few minutes. It will incorporate some air to the batter and make it light.
- Heat cooking oil for frying the vadas.
- Take small lemon size batter and fry it in the oil. Repeat till all the vadas are done. It should be golden and crispy.
- Keep some room temperature water in a big bowl. Put the fried vadas into the water submerged. After 5 minutes, take the vadas out of water and press each vada with your palm to take the water out.
- To prepare yoghurt, take yogurt in a bowl and add ½ cup whole milk and whisk evenly. Add salt, sugar and chaat masala and keep aside.
To serve, place 2-3 vadas in a shallow plate. Add yogurt on the top evenly. Garnish it with red chili powder, roasted cumin seeds, salt as per taste and tamarind chutney. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Approx. 12 servings
- Pomegranate juice – 1 cup
- Guava juice – 2 cups
- Club soda – 1 cup
- Simple syrup – 1/2 cup
- Fresh lime juice – 4 tbsp
- Fresh mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Ice cubes – 2 cups
- Rum – 1.5 cups (10 oz.) [OPTIONAL]
In a blender add all of the above, except half mint leaves. Blend for few minutes. Pour in chilled glasses. Garnish with remaining fresh mint leaves and lime slices and serve.
Note: For non-alcoholic drink, leave rum out.
Simple Syrup: 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar, boil until sugar is completely dissolved. Cool it and use it in preparing beverages.
This Mexican dip is a party favorite. It can be prepared in advance and refrigerated. It should be served at room temperature. You can add any ingredients of your choice but below is the list of most preferred ingredients in a seven layer dip.
Approx. 6 servings
- Re-fried beans – 1 can (16 oz)
- Taco seasoning mix – 1 (1 ounce) packet
- Sour cream – 1 (16 ounce) container
- Guacamole – 1 cup (homemade or store bought)
- Salsa – 1 cup
- Tomato – 1 large chopped
- Green bell pepper -1 chopped
- Green onions – 1 bunch chopped
- Sliced black olives – 1 (6 ounce) can, drained
- Shredded Mexican cheese – 2 cups
- In a medium bowl, blend the taco seasoning mix and re-fried beans. Spread the mixture onto a large rectangle glass container.
- Spread sour cream over the re-fried beans.
- Top the layers with guacamole and salsa.
- Now add layers of tomato, green bell pepper, half green onions and top with Mexican cheese.
- Garnish with sliced black olives and remaining green onions.
Serve at room temperature. Enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips.
Shakarpara means sugar treats. These are small diamond shaped sweets usually made during Diwali or other festivals. These sweets can be stored in air tight containers for 3-4 weeks.
Approx. 12 servings
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- All purpose flour (Maida) – 1/2 cup
- Ghee or butter – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Cooking oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine wheat flour, all purpose flour and ghee. Mix well.
- Ina sauce pan, combine milk sugar and 1/2 cup water. Bring it to a boil till the sugar dissolves completely. Take it off the heat and let it cool.
- Now add sugar syrup little by little to the flour mixture and knead it into stiff dough.
- Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan for frying on medium heat.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Take each part and roll the dough into 1/4 inch thick sheet.
- Cut the sheet into small diamond shapes with the help of knife or the pizza cutter.
- Carefully fry these diamonds in the medium hot oil till it becomes golden on both sides.
- Drain them on the kitchen towel and cool them completely.
- Once these diamond shaped shakarparas are completely cool, you can store them in air tight containers for 3-4 weeks.
Enjoy these sweet treats with a cup of coffee or masala tea.
Schezwan fried rice is part of Chinese cuisine. Schezwan sauce has distinct red chili and garlic flavor. Schezwan sauce is easily available at any Asian grocery store. When rice is tossed in fresh vegetables and schezwan sauce, it gets a unique spicy and tangy flavor. Enjoy this easy to follow recipe.
Schezwan fried rice : For Approx. 4 servings
- Cooked rice – 2 cups
- Onion – 1/2 sliced
- Red bell pepper – 1/2 cut into strips
- Water chestnuts – 1/2 cup sliced
- Baby Corn – 1/2 cup cut in halves
- Fresh mushrooms – 1/2 cup sliced
- Fresh green beans – 1/2 cup cut in 2 inch pieces
- Cashew nuts – 1/4 cup halves
- Spring onions – 1/4 cup cut
- Schezwan Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Green chili vinegar – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- In a wok or big non-stick pan, heat olive oil on medium-hot flame.
- Add onions, water chestnuts, green beans, baby corns, mushrooms and in the very end red bell pepper. Toss together for 2-3 minutes on high heat. Now add cashews. The vegetables should be crunchy so we keep just cook, till its half done.
- Add schezwan sauce, rice vinegar, cooked rice and salt. Add spring onion leaves and toss well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes and schezwan fried rice is ready to be served.
Garnish and Serving Suggestions:
Garnish with fresh spring onions and cashews. Serve hot.
Chocolate with nuts is a classic combination. This homemade fudge is hard to resist. Enjoy this easy to follow, simple recipe for Chocolate lovers.
- Semisweet chocolate chips – 2 cups (12 ounces)
- Heavy whipping cream – 1/2 cup
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1/4 tsp
- Roasted chopped Almonds – 1/2 cup
- Melt chocolate over double boiler.
- Add cream and stir in sugar. Keep stirring until it becomes smooth.
- Add butter, vanilla extract and stir to blend well. Stir in Chopped almonds. Mix well.
- Butter a smooth plate. Pour the chocolate mix into the plate and refrigerate for couple of hours.
- Cut into desired shapes. Store between parchment paper to avoid sticking.
Fruit custard is an easy fruit salad with delicate creamy sweet sauce. It can be served as dessert or a side dish.
For Fruit Custard – Approx. 6 servings
- Custard powder (Vanilla flavor) – 2 tbsp
- Whole Milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Seedless grapes – 1 cup
- Apple – 1
- Banana – 1/2
- Pomegranate seeds – 1/2 cup
- Almonds – 8
- Cashew nuts – 8
- In a small bowl, take 1/2 cup warm milk and add 2 tbsp custard powder. Mix well to make it smooth and lump free. Keep aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add remaining milk and bring it to a boil. Add sugar and mix well.
- Now gradually add custard mix to the milk. Stir continuously. It starts to thicken.
- Mix well and turn the heat off.
- Cool it down at the room temperature and then refrigerate.
- Clean and cut all the fruits in bite size pieces and keep aside.
- Chop the nuts for garnish and keep aside.
Garnish and serving suggestion:
In a serving bowl, arrange cut fruits. Now pour chilled custard and garnish with chopped nuts and pomegranate seeds. Serve chilled.