Bruschetta is my family favorite for Friday evenings. It is full of flavor with fresh ingredients and very simple to make. You can add any fresh vegetable you like as a topping.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Approximate: 6 servings
- French bread or Italian bread – 1 baguette
- Fresh Tomatoes – 3 chopped
- Sweet onion – 1 chopped
- Fresh basil leaves or Cilantro leaves – 10 chopped.
- Olive oil – 1/4 cup
- Fresh garlic cloves – 3 minced
- Shredded mozzarella cheese – 1.5 cup
- Freshly ground black pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Salt as per taste taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, sweet onions, chopped basil or cilantro, minced garlic, olive oil, salt and black pepper. Mix gently and keep aside.
- Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
- Spoon tomato-onion mix on each slice evenly. Top the slices with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.