Protein rich Soy Pulao
Pulaos are great addition to any meal. It can be served with Lunch/Dinner or as Lunch /Dinner on its own. Aromatic Soy pulao is healthy and rich in nutrients.
Nutritional Facts: Soybeans are considered by many agencies to be a source of complete protein. A complete protein is one that contains significant amounts of all the essential amino acids that must be provided to the human body because of the body’s inability to synthesize them. For this reason, soy is a good source of protein, amongst many others, for vegetarians and vegans or for people who want to reduce the amount of meat they eat.
For Nutrela Soy Pulao [5 servings]
Rice (Basmati) – 2 cups
Nutrela Soy nuggets (chunks) – 1 cup (dry)
Sweet Onion – 1/2 Medium size, Sliced
Cashews [kaju] – ½ cup (halved)
Green peas – ½ cup
Potato – 1 medium
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Green Cardamom [Eliachi] – 5 whole
Cinnamon [dalchini] – 1 stick
Bay leaf [tej patta] – 2-3 whole
Cloves [laung] – 4
Garam Masala – 1tsp
Red chili powder – 1.5 tsp
Milk – 2 cups
Water – 2 cups
Ghee [Clarified butter] -1 tbsp
Cooking oil – 1tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Soak the rice in water for 1 hour.
2. Cook the rice with 2 cups of water and 1.5 cups of milk. Let the rice cool completely or let it sit in the refrigerator for couple of hours after cooking.
3. Soak dry soy chunks in warm water with some salt for flavoring, for 10-15 minutes. After the chunks are all puffed up, drain them and rinse with fresh water one more time. In a pan, heat 1 tsp cooking oil and sauté the soy chunks for 3-4 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
4. Heat a pan and add oil and ghee. Briefly sauté cashews, raisins, almond slices and walnuts and keep aside. Sauté sliced onions, potatoes and peas for 3-4 minutes and cover them till potatoes and peas are done. Keep aside.
5. Now in the same pan with oil and ghee, add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add cooked rice carefully and mix well. Add fried soy chunks to rice. Now add fried onions, vegetables and nuts to it. Also add salt, garam masala and red chili powder to it. Mix well.
6. Add remaining ½ cup of milk to pulao. Keep the pulao covered on low heat for 7-8 minutes.
7. Aromatic and delicious soy pulao is ready to serve.
Enjoy Nutrela soy pulao at any meal time with raita and pickles.