Chaat is the common term used for mouth watering street food in India. It has many varieties as gol guppe or pani puri, sev puri, dahi puri, chole tikki, papdi chaat, bhel puri. All of them has common mint-cilantro (green chutney) and tamarind (sweet imli) chutney. If you have all the ingredients, these chaats can be prepared in jiffy. I always keep green chutney and tamarind chutney ready in my refrigerator so preparing chaat is very easy.
The recipe here is for Sev puri dahi puri also called as SPDP, in Pune, India. I’m using store bought pani puri shells. They are as good as home made ones; sometimes even better:). These shells are versatiel, can be used with pani to eat as golguppe/ pani puri or can be prepared as sev puri dahi puri. The same recipe is also called sev batata puri beacuer the pani puri shells are filled with boiled potatoes. Enjoy this lip smacking snack.
For Sev puri dahi puri: Approx. 4 servings
- Plain Golguppe (pani puri shells) – 24
- Fine namkee sev– 2 cups
- Potatoes boiled – 2
- Sweet onion – 1 finely chopped
- Fresh cilantro – 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Tamarind chutney – 3/4 cup
Link for Tamarind Chutney:
- Green chutney – 1/2 cup [OPTIONAL]
Link for Green Chutney:
- Yogurt (dahi) -1 cup (add some salt and sugar)
- Chaat Masala – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Boil and peel potatoes. In a bowl, mash these potatoes roughly and add chaat masala and salt. Mix and keep aside.
- Finely cut sweet onions and fresh cilantro, keep aside.
- Prepare tamarind chutney and green chutney as directed. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, take yogurt; add some sugar and salt. Mix well. Keep aside.
- Now for final chaat assembly; first take puffed plain golguppe or Pani Puri and make a small hole in each of them. Fill each puri with boiled potatoes.
- Keep 6 Pani Puris in each plate. Add a ladle full of smooth yogurt mix on these puris.
- Now add a tsp tamarind chutney and green chutney on each puri.
- Top it off with chopped onions and fine namkeen sev.
- Finally garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, chaat masala, red chili powder and salt.
Enjoy this mouth watering chaat as soon as assembled, or it will get soggy.