Ingredients: [Approx. 4 servings]
Basmati rice – 1.5 cup
Onions – 1 medium [sliced]
Tomato – 1 [finely chopped]
Potatoes- 1 [cut lengthwise]
Cauliflower – 1 cup [small florets]
Red bell pepper- ½ [cup cut strips]
Green peas – ½ cup
Garlic –½ tbsp minced
Ginger-½ tbsp grated
Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon whole – 1 stick
Black pepper corns – 1tsp
Cloves – 8
Cumin seeds [Jira] -1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Salt to tastes
- Wash basmati rice twice. Cook the rice with 3 cups of water.
- Clean and cut all the vegetables as directed. Keep aside.
- In a pan on medium heat, add cooking oil. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, black pepper corns and cumin seeds. Also add sliced onions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add cut potatoes, mix well and cover the pan to get potatoes cooked.
- When potatoes are half done, add ginger-garlic and all the vegetables. Sauté on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all these cooked vegetables to the cooked rice and add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt.
- Mix well and slow cook the vegetable fried rice half covered for 4 more minutes.
Serve steamy vegetable fried rice with boondi raita [spicy yogurt] for any meal.
Ingredients: [For approx 4 servings]
Rice – 2 cups
Moong dal – 1 cup
Jeera – 2 tsp
Cashews(broken) – 1/2cup
Whole dry red chillies – 6
Whole peppercorns – 10-12
Curry leaves – 5-6 leaves
Garlic – 4 cloves
Chana dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal -1 tsp
Hing [Asafoetida powder] – 2 pinch
Butter – 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Soak rice and moong dal in water for an hour.
- Cook rice and dal with salt, turmeric powder and butter/ghee in a heavy bottom pot in 3 cups of water.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp butter. Add Jeera, chana dal, urad dal, hing powder, minced garlic, a few peppercorns and cashews. When it splatters, add curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Add this prepared seasoning to the cooked rice mixture.
Serve hot for light lunch or dinner.
Lemon Rice [Southern Indian style]
Last few days, Aunt V is visiting us. She is a great cook. I learned this and few other recipes from her. Lemon rice is very flavorful and very easy to make. Lemon rice is great for picnics or as a journey meal. I would like to share this simple yet authentic recipe with you all.
For Lemon rice [4 servings]
Rice (Basmati) – 4 cups [Cooked] left over is even better
Cashews – ½ cup (halved) [Optional]
Raw peanuts – ½ cup (halved) [Optional]
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Lemon/ Lime juice – 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Cooking oil for tempering -1.5 tbsp
Dry red chilies [torn into halves] – 4
Mustard seeds [Rai] – 1 tsp
Chana dal – 1 tbsp
Urad dal [white]-1 tbsp
Hing [asafoetida] – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 6
Cilantro fresh – 1 tbsp [finely chopped] for garnishing (optional)
1. Wash and cook basmati rice as usual. i.e. Cook 1.5 cup raw rice with 3 cups of water. Let the rice cool completely or let it sit in the refrigerator for couple of hours after cooking. This recipe is good for using leftover white rice too.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add peanuts or cashews. Fry for couple of minutes. Drain the nuts and keep aside.
3. In the same pan add all the tempering ingredients, Mustard seeds, red chilies, chana dal, urad dal, hing, and curry leaves. Fry till it all crackles. Add turmeric powder and the fried nuts, mix well.
4. Add the above tempering to the cooked rice. Add Lemon or lime juice to the rice and mix again.
Garnish the prepared rice with freshly chopped cilantro. Enjoy with any meal, anytime of the day.
Pineapple Fried Rice
Pineapple fried rice is one of my favorite entrée to order at Thai restaurants. This is my own version with few additions. Kids love it too.
For Pineapple fried rice [6 servings]
Rice (Basmati) – 1.5 cups
Pineapple chunks – 1cup (fresh or canned)
Sweet Onion – 1/2 Medium size, Sliced
Capsicum (Green Bell pepper) – ½ cup, cut into thin stripes (julienne)
Carrot – ½ cup, cut into thin stripes (julienne)
Baby corn – ½ cup
Peas -1/4 cup
Paneer(Indian cottage cheese)- 1/2 cup small cubes [OPTIONAL]
Cashews – ½ cup (halved)
Spring onions – for garnish
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Ginger- 1 tbsp minced
Soy Sauce- 1.5 tbsp
Maggi Hot & Sweet Sauce – 1 tbsp
Garlic chili sauce -1 tbsp
Oil for frying -2 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Cook the rice with 2 cups of water and 1 cup coconut milk. Let the rice cool completely or let it sit in the refrigerator for couple of hours after cooking. This recipe is good for using leftover white rice too.
2. Rinse and prepare all the vegetables as directed.
3. Cut paneer into small cubes and shallow fry it. Keep fried paneer aside.
4. Heat the wok and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the minced ginger and stir-fry briefly until aromatic.
5. Add all the vegetables, pineapple chunks and cashews. Stir fry on high heat for 2 minutes.
6. Add cooked rice carefully and mix well. Add fried paneer cubes to it.
7. Stir in Soy sauce, Maggi Hot & Sweet sauce, Garlic chili sauce and salt. Cook for few more seconds.
Garnish pineapple fried rice with cut spring onions and serve hot. If possible it can be served in the hollow shell of the fresh pineapple.
Note: You can increase or decrease the amount of sauces according to your taste.