Ingredients: [Approx. 4 servings]
Basmati rice – 1.5 cup
Onions – 1 medium [sliced]
Tomato – 1 [finely chopped]
Potatoes- 1 [cut lengthwise]
Cauliflower – 1 cup [small florets]
Red bell pepper- ½ [cup cut strips]
Green peas – ½ cup
Garlic –½ tbsp minced
Ginger-½ tbsp grated
Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon whole – 1 stick
Black pepper corns – 1tsp
Cloves – 8
Cumin seeds [Jira] -1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Salt to tastes
- Wash basmati rice twice. Cook the rice with 3 cups of water.
- Clean and cut all the vegetables as directed. Keep aside.
- In a pan on medium heat, add cooking oil. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, black pepper corns and cumin seeds. Also add sliced onions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add cut potatoes, mix well and cover the pan to get potatoes cooked.
- When potatoes are half done, add ginger-garlic and all the vegetables. Sauté on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all these cooked vegetables to the cooked rice and add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt.
- Mix well and slow cook the vegetable fried rice half covered for 4 more minutes.
Serve steamy vegetable fried rice with boondi raita [spicy yogurt] for any meal.