Beat the summer heat with refreshing Cucumber cooler drink.
Makes 6 servings approx.
- English cucumber – 3 (peeled and cubed)
- Celery – 1 cup (cubed)
- Mint leaves – 10
- Fresh lemon juice – 1/2 cup
- Honey – 2 tbsp
Mix all the ingredients in a blender. Strain and serve chilled. Garnish with cucumber slices and mint leaves.
Note: Add Vodka and convert refreshing cucumber cooler into Cucumber martini.
Lemon Rice [Southern Indian style]
Last few days, Aunt V is visiting us. She is a great cook. I learned this and few other recipes from her. Lemon rice is very flavorful and very easy to make. Lemon rice is great for picnics or as a journey meal. I would like to share this simple yet authentic recipe with you all.
For Lemon rice [4 servings]
Rice (Basmati) – 4 cups [Cooked] left over is even better
Cashews – ½ cup (halved) [Optional]
Raw peanuts – ½ cup (halved) [Optional]
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Lemon/ Lime juice – 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Cooking oil for tempering -1.5 tbsp
Dry red chilies [torn into halves] – 4
Mustard seeds [Rai] – 1 tsp
Chana dal – 1 tbsp
Urad dal [white]-1 tbsp
Hing [asafoetida] – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 6
Cilantro fresh – 1 tbsp [finely chopped] for garnishing (optional)
1. Wash and cook basmati rice as usual. i.e. Cook 1.5 cup raw rice with 3 cups of water. Let the rice cool completely or let it sit in the refrigerator for couple of hours after cooking. This recipe is good for using leftover white rice too.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add peanuts or cashews. Fry for couple of minutes. Drain the nuts and keep aside.
3. In the same pan add all the tempering ingredients, Mustard seeds, red chilies, chana dal, urad dal, hing, and curry leaves. Fry till it all crackles. Add turmeric powder and the fried nuts, mix well.
4. Add the above tempering to the cooked rice. Add Lemon or lime juice to the rice and mix again.
Garnish the prepared rice with freshly chopped cilantro. Enjoy with any meal, anytime of the day.