Lemon-Chili Pickle [Nimbu-mirchi ka Achaar]
Green chilies- 15
Mustard seeds [yellow split] – 3/4 cup
Coriander [coarsely ground]- 1/2 cup
Fenugreek [coarsely ground]- 1/2 cup
Cloves – ½ tbsp
Fennel seeds – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon – 2 sticks
Cardamom pods – 5
Black pepper [whole]- 1 tsp
Cooking oil – 2 cups
Red chili powder – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
Salt- ½ cup
- Wash and dry lemon and green chilies separately.
- Cut lemon and green chilies into small pieces. Try to discard all the lemon seeds. Add turmeric and salt to lemon and green chilies and keep it in a glass bowl over night.
- Next morning, mix well and keep aside.
- In a pan, dry roast cinnamon, cloves, coriander, fenugreek, cardamom, black pepper and fennel seeds. Grind the roasted spices in grinder and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all the above roasted spices and also add red chili powder to it.
- Heat oil in a separate pan and add it to the spice mix. Mix well.
- Add all the above mixture to the lemon and green chilies. Once again mix well.
- Take a clean jar; fill it up with the above pickle. Also add some hot oil on the top. So the pickle is completely submerged in the oil.
- Store it in a clean and dry place. Pickle is ready to eat in a week.
Enjoy Lemon-chili pickle with garma garam parathas [Indian bread] anytime of the day.