Sabudana kheer is a very simple and flavorful dessert. It is mostly prepared for fasting menu, but is can be enjoyed anytime of the year.
For Approx. 6 servings
- Sabudana (Sago pearls or tapioca pearls) – 1/2 cup
- Milk (whole) – 4 cups
- Sugar or sugar substitute – 1/2 cup
- Saffron (kesar or zafran) – 12 strands
- Cardamom powder (elaichi) – 1/4 tsp
- Almonds – 12 sliced
- Soak sabudana with just enough water to cover it. Soak it for 4-6 hours or overnight. Now sabudana becomes light and fluffy.
- In heavy bottom pan, add milk. Bring it to boil once and let it simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Add saffron strands and stir occasionally.
- Add soaked sabudana to the milk and stir gently. Let it cook for further 6-8 minutes till sabudana becomes translucent.
- Now add half of the sliced almonds and sugar to it. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Kheer is ready to be served.
- Sabudana kheer becomes thick when cools.
Garnish and serving suggestions:
Garnish sabudana kheer with remaining sliced almonds and few strands of saffron. Enjoy this wonderful dessert chilled or warm.
For Sabudana Khichadi [4 servings]
- Sabudana (Tapioca or Sago pearls) – 1.5 cups
- Potato – 1
- Roasted peanuts – 1/2 cup
- Green chili – 1 Finely chopped
- Cilantro – ¼ cup
- Lime juice – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1.5 tbsp
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak sabudana in just enough water to cover it. Let it stand overnight. In the morning, the sabudana looks nice and fluffy.
- Boil, peel and cut potato in small cubes. Finely chop green chilies and cilantro and keep aside.
- Coarsely grind roasted peanuts and keep aside.
- In a bowl mix, Sabudana with roasted and crushed peanuts.
- Heat 1 tbsp cooking oil in a shallow pan. Add cumin seeds; let it crackle for 1 minute. Add asafoetida powder and chopped green chilies to it.
- Add the sabudana mixture to the pan. Now add boiled potato cubes to it. Mix well. Keep the heat medium and stir occasionally. Add red chili powder, salt, sugar and lime juice to it. Cook for few more seconds. Do not add water to the khichadi at any point. It will make it lumpy.
- Sabudana khichadi is ready to be served.
Garnish sabudana khichadi with freshly chopped cilantro and some fresh lime juice.
Note: Always try making sabudana kichadi in shallow pan. It prevents khichadi from sticking or getting lumpy.