Namkeen Poha Chivda: Crunchy Snack
A simple and crunchy Diwali snack.
Thin Poha (flattened rice) – 2 cups
Peanuts – 1/2 cup
Dalia (roasted chana dal) – 1/2 cup
Cashews – 1/2 cup
Golden raisins – 1/4 cup [OPTIONAL]
Garlic cloves – 4 minced
Curry Leaves – 15
Asafoetida (hing) – 2 pinch
Green chilies – 2 finely chopped
Dried coconut flakes – 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Sugar fine – 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Oil for tempering – 2 tbsp
- In a microwavable plate, dry roast half poha in microwave for 2 minutes on high. Repeat the same for other half. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil. Now add mustard seeds, when it starts splattering, add minced garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add asafoetida powder, green chilies, peanuts, dalia, cashews, raisins, coconut flakes and curry leaves. Saute for few minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder and mix well. Also add roasted poha to the pan, mix well.
- Finally add salt and sugar and keep mixing gently. Take it off the heat or it will burn.
- Cool the mixture completely and store it in airtight container. It can be stored for a couple of weeks if kept airtight.
Enjoy this crunchy snack with Masala tea or Kesariya chai.
This tangy tomato chutney is my mom’s recipe. I have been eating this chutney since my childhood and often love to make it myself.
For Tomato chutney: [for 4 servings]
- Ripe red tomatoes – 6
- Fresh curry leaves – 6
- Onion – 1/2 thinly sliced
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafatieda powder-1 pinch
- Green chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar or gur – 2 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh cliantro – 1 tbsp for garnish
- Dice tomatoes in small cubes. Keep aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Then add asafatida powder and sliced onions. Saute it, till turns light golden.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, chopped green chilies and fresh curry leaves. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and let it simmer for 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add sugar or gur to the gravy and simmer it on low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Tomato chutney is ready to be served.
Garnish tangy tomato chutney with freshly chopped cilantro. Enjoy with methi paratha or any other paratha of your choice.