Rajma represents Punjabi cuisine and best accompanied with fragrant basmati rice. It can be cooked in pressure cooker or slow cooker. Enjoy its authentic recipe.
For Rajma Masala: Approx. 4 servings
- Red kidney beans (Rajma) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1, coarsely chopped
- Garlic – 2 tsp, chopped
- Ginger – 2 tsp, chopped
- Green chilies – 2 cut lengthwise
- Tomato – 1 large chopped
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Fresh cilantro – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Water – 4 cups
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Soak beans overnight in plenty of water. Rinse beans before cooking. In the pressure cooker or in slow cooker, add beans, 4 cups of water and salt. Let it cook until Rajma beans are soft.
- In the food processor, puree chopped onions, garlic and ginger. Keep aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil in medium -high heat. Add cumin seeds. Let it splatter then add onion, ginger-garlic puree. Half cover it to avoid splattering.
- Let it cook on medium heat. Keep stirring till it turns light brown in color and most of its moisture is evaporated.
- Add cut green chilies, chopped tomatoes and all the remaining dry spices to it.
- Cook on low heat for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add cooked beans and sugar to the pan. Mix well. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
Garnish and serving suggestions:
Garnish Rajma with freshly chopped cilantro and serve hot with basmati rice.