This tangy tomato chutney is my mom’s recipe. I have been eating this chutney since my childhood and often love to make it myself.
For Tomato chutney: [for 4 servings]
- Ripe red tomatoes – 6
- Fresh curry leaves – 6
- Onion – 1/2 thinly sliced
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafatieda powder-1 pinch
- Green chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar or gur – 2 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh cliantro – 1 tbsp for garnish
- Dice tomatoes in small cubes. Keep aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Then add asafatida powder and sliced onions. Saute it, till turns light golden.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, chopped green chilies and fresh curry leaves. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and let it simmer for 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add sugar or gur to the gravy and simmer it on low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Tomato chutney is ready to be served.
Garnish tangy tomato chutney with freshly chopped cilantro. Enjoy with methi paratha or any other paratha of your choice.