Namak Pare (Savory snacks)
These snacks are mostly prepared during festivals. But being such an easy recipe it can be enjoyed any time. Namak pare brings back lots of childhood memories. In our house hold, we enjoyed them year round. Thanks mom for such a wonderful snack!
Ingredients for Namak pare:
- All purpose flour (Maida) – 1.5 cups
- Semolina (Sooji) – 1/2 cup
- Carom seeds (Ajwain) – 1 tsp
- Yogurt – 1/4 cup
- Butter/ Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Cooking oil for frying
- Water to knead dough – 1/4 cup
- In a large bowl, add all purpose flour and semolina.
- Now add carom seeds, yogurt, 2 tbsp butter or oil and salt.
- Knead it into a little stiff dough using very little water. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Now divide the dough in 6 parts. Roll each part into a ball and keep aside.
- With the help of rolling pin roll each ball into 10 inch diameter circles.
- Cut these circles into thin strips and cut them again into 2-3 inch length.
- Deep fry these pieces till light golden in medium hot oil.
- Drain them on kitchen towel and let them cool completely.
- Store these snacks in air tight containers for longer shelf life.
Enjoy Namak Pare with a cup of tea or your favorite drink anytime of the day.