“Seekh” means skewers and “kebab” means patties, so seekh kebab is patties on the skewers. Usually kebabs are associated with non vegetarian food category. But these crispy flavorful seekh kebabs are made from vegetables and chana (gram).
Approx. 10 seekh kebabs
Green chana (gram) (fresh or frozen) – 1 cup
Green peas (fresh or frozen) – 1 cup
Carrot – 1
Potato – 2 medium
Roasted chana dal (dalia) – 1/2 cup
Chaat masala – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Amchur powder – 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Bamboo skewers – 10
- Grind roasted chana dal and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, cook green chana, green peas, carrot and potatoes.
- In a bowl, add cooked green chana, green peas, boiled and peeled potatoes and cooked carrot. Mash them well together and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and add ginger garlic paste and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Now add mashed vegetable mixture, all the dry spices and salt. Mix well. Sauté for 3-4 minutes and take it off the heat.
- Take the mix in a large bowl and gradually mix roasted chana dal powder to it. Make it into dough like consistency.
- Take a lemon size mixture in your hand and place skewer in it. Now gently but firmly spread the mix evenly on the skewer.
- In a wide shallow pan, add little oil and place these kebabs in single layer on medium heat. Let it become golden brown and crisp on one side and then turn them on the other side.
- When kebabs are evenly golden brown and crisp, it is ready to serve.
Enjoy these seekh kebabs with green chutney or tangy tomato chutney as an appetizer or evening snack.