For Chana dal Lauki: [6 servings approx.]
Chana dal (Split yellow) – 3/4 cup
Lauki (Bottle guard) – 1
Whole garam masala – 1 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Kasoori Methi -1/2 tbsp
Wet Ingredients for tadka:
Onion -1/2 (finely chopped)
Tomatoes -1 cup (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Garlic – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Green chili -1 tsp (finely chopped) [Optional]
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Wash dry chana dal a couple of times. Keep aside.
- Peel and cut Bottle guard (Lauki) in medium size cubes and keep aside.
- Pressure cook it with turmeric powder, salt and 2.5 cups of water for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Now open the pressure cooker (when all the pressure is released), and add cut bottle guard (lauki) to it.
- Pressure cook the above for 10 more minutes.
- For tadka, heat olive oil in a pan. Add whole garam masala. Let it crackle. Then add chopped onions and sauté it, till turns light golden. Add ginger, garlic and chopped green chilies (optional). Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder in the gravy and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add the tadka to the cooked chanadal lauki and add 1/2 cup water and simmer it on low heat 4-5 minutes.
- Finally, add kasoori methi and let it simmer for 2 more minutes.
Garnish the Chana dal Lauki with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with halved lemons.
Enjoy with fresh naan, paratha or steamed basmati rice.