Aloo Vada or Aloo Bonda [Fried potato snack]
Aloo vada is one of the most popular snacks in almost all the regions in India. Sometimes its called Aloo vada, other times it is Aloo bonda or Aloo bada etc. It is simple, easy to make snack in cold or rainy weather. This recipe is M.P. [madhya pradesh] style Aloo vada.
Garma garam aloo vada ke saath ek cup chai, mazaa aa jaye……
For Aloo vada or Aloo bonda (8 vadas)
Besan [Gram flour] – 1.5 cups
Ladu besan [ Coarse besan] – ½ cup
Potatoes – 3 medium
Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida powder – 1 pinch
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Green chilies – 2 (finely chopped)
Cilantro – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Lime/Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Baking power – 1 pinch
Salt as per taste
Cooking oil to fry
- Boil and peel potatoes. Mash them and keep aside.
- In afrying pan, heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Add Cumin and mustard seeds. When it starts splattering, add asafoetida powder.
- Now add chopped green chilies and chopped onions to it. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Don’t fully cook the onions. Keep them crunchy. Add turmeric powder.
- Add mashed potatoes to the pan. Also add salt, red chili powder, cilantro, lime juice and sugar. Mix well.
- If it off the heat and let it cool. Make 8 even balls of it. Keep aside.
- In another bowl, add regular besan and ladu besan, ¼ tsp salt and ½ tsp red chili powder, a pinch of baking soda, add some water, mix well for about 4-5 minutes with wire whisk and make an even batter of it. Batter should not be runny, it should be thick.
- Heat cooking oil for frying the vadas.
- Cover the potato balls in the batter and deep fry them in medium hot oil.
- Drain it on the kitchen towel when turns golden and crispy.
Serve hot with green chutney or ketchup with a cup of tea.
Green chutney recipe: