Navratri Special: Singhada aloo vada
Festivities are in the air. One of the most auspicious is Navratri. Fasting [vrat] is the part of navratri ritual. Here I’m sharing with you Singhada aloo vada. Singhada means Water chestnuts, its flour is often used in falahari or fasting recipes. This is also a kid’s friendly snack.
For Singhada aloo vada (8 vadas)
Singhada (Water chestnut) flour – 1.5 cups
Potatoes – 3 medium
Roasted cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Green chilies – 2 (finely chopped)
Cilantro – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Lime/Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Cooking oil to fry
Salt as per taste
- Boil and peel potatoes. In a bowl, add boiled potatoes, salt, red chili powder, green chilies, cilantro, lime juice and sugar. Mix well and make 8 even balls of it. Keep aside.
- In another bowl, add Singhada flour, ¼ tsp salt and ½ tsp red chili powder. Add some water, mix well and make an even batter of it.
- Heat cooking oil for frying the vadas.
- Cover the potato balls in the batter and deep fry them in medium hot oil.
- Drain it on the kitchen towel when turns golden and crispy.
Serve hot with green chutney or ketchup with a cup of tea.