Khaman Dhokla: A Gujrati speciality
Khaman and Dhokla are actually two different Gujrati snacks, using two different kinds of batter. But here I’m sharing with you my mom’s Khaman recipe. I love Khaman dhokla since I was a little kid. It can be served as anytime snack. You can make it non-spicy and kids love it too.
For Khaman Dhokla (4 servings)
Chick pea flour [Besan]– 1 cup
Citric acid crystals or Eno Fruit salt-1 tsp
Lime juice-3 tbsp
Cooking oil –2 tbsp
Cilantro leaves – ½ cup leaves [finely chopped]
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Green chilies – 2
Curry leaves – 5-6
Sesame seeds [Til] –1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- In a large bowl, mix together besan, salt, sugar, oil, limejuice and water. Add little by little water to the mix and make it a smooth batter.
- On the stove, in a large vessel, add 1 cup of water and turn the heat on. It starts producing steam.
- Meanwhile, add Eno fruit salt to the batter and pour it in 2 greased shallow dhokla plates and top it off with the sesame seeds.
- Steam the khaman covered for 10-12 minutes.
- When khaman is cooked well, take the khaman plates out to cool down for 15-20 minutes.
- For tempering, in a pan, heat cooking oil and add mustard seeds. When it starts splattering, add green chilies and curry leaves and vegetables. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Cut the khaman in the plate diagonally.
- Now pour the tempering on the warm khaman dhoklas. Garnish it with chopped cilantro.
Enjoy warm Khaman Dhokla with green cilantro chutney and tamarind chutney.