Nutritious Moong-Chana dal
One of the most often cooked dish in my kitchen. It is super healthy, nutritious and tastes good.
For Moong-Chana dal: [for 6 servings]
Moong (Whole Green) dry – 1.5 cup
Chana dal (Split yellow) – ½ cup
Whole garam masala – 1 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Kasoori Methi -1/2 tbsp
Wet Ingredients for tadka:
Onion -1/2 (finely chopped)
Tomatoes -1 cup (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Garlic – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Green chili -1 tsp (finely chopped) [Optional]
olive oil – 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
1. Wash dry moong and chana together a couple of times.
2. Pressure cook it with turmeric powder, salt and 6 cups of water for 30 minutes on medium heat.
3. For tadka, heat olive oil in a pan. Add whole garam masala. Let it crackle. Then add chopped onions and sauté it, till turns light golden. Add ginger, garlic and chopped green chilies (optional). Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder in the gravy and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes on medium-low heat.
5. Add the tadka to the cooked moong- chana and add 1 cups of water and simmer it on low heat for 10 minutes.
6. Finally, add kasoori methi and let it simmer for 2 more minutes.
Garnish the Moong-chana dal with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with halved lemons.
Enjoy with fresh naan, paratha or steamed basmati rice.