I’m a big fan of South Indian snacks. Medu vada is one of those. It is easy to make you can serve it as a meal with sambhar and chutney or just anytime snack only with chutney.It’s a kid’s friendly snack.
For Medu vada (4 servings)
Urad dal (white) – 1.5 cups
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida powder- 2 pinches
Freshly grounded black pepper – 1 tsp
Green Chilies – 2
Curry leaves – 8
Cooking oil to fry
Salt as per taste
- Wash Urad dal thoroughly and soak it in water for 6-7 hours.
- Grind soaked dal with green chilies in fine paste using very little water. Add asafoetida powder, cumin seeds, black pepper and salt to the paste. Mix the batter for few minutes. It will incorporate some air to the batter and make it light.
- Heat cooking oil for frying the vadas.
- Apply some oil to your palm and take some batter on it. Shape it round and make a hole in the center with your finger. It takes some practice to make the shape.
- Deep fry the doughnut shaped vadas in oil. It should be golden and crispy.
Serve hot with green chutney or coconut chutney for snack and with sambhar/chutney for meal.