Mutterwala Baigan Bharta [Roasted Eggplant /w Peas]
Baigan Bharta can be enjoyed year round. Even if you don’t like eggplants or baigan, I’m pretty sure you like baigan bharta. Baigan with mutter (peas) is a perfect combination.
For Mutterwala Baigan bharta: [6 servings]
Baigan [Eggplant] – 1 big
Peas -1 cup (fresh or frozen)
Onion -3/4 cup chopped
Tomato-1 cup chopped finely
Fresh chopped Garlic -1/2 tbsp
Fresh chopped Ginger -1/2 tbsp
Green chilies- 1tsp finely chopped
Cilantro -1/4 cup finely chopped
Olive oil -2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds -1 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) powder -1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Everest Kitchen king masala-1/2 tsp(for extra flavor)
Salt as per taste
1. Wash whole baigan [Eggplant] thoroughly under running water, dry it using a kitchen towel. Then apply a thin layer of oil on it.
2. Roast the baigan [eggplant] directly on the stove (gas or electric) for at least 20-25 minutes on medium high. In between rotate it so that it gets cooked all the way.
3. Once baigan [eggplant] is all done, cool it and peel the outer skin. Then in the food processer, just pulse it for couple of times. It becomes mostly smooth. If you like chunky bharta, just run your knife through the roasted and peeled eggplant.
3. Thaw frozen peas in microwave for 3 minutes.
3. In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add cumin and mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add asafoetida powder. Then add chopped onions and sauté it, till it turns translucent and light golden. Add chopped green chilies, garlic and ginger to it. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add peas and fry for 3-4 minutes. And cover the pan for 3-4 minutes.
4. Finally add processed baigan and chopped tomatoes to the pan. Also add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
5. Mix it all together and sauté it for 5 minutes. When you see the moisture is all gone and the bharta no more sticks to the pan, it is done.
6. For final step add kitchen king masala and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Just before eating add some lime juice and it tastes awesome.
Enjoy hot with fresh roti or paratha.