Protein packed Punjabi Kala Chana (Black chickpeas)
Kala Chana is a super healthy, protein packed recipe from Punjab (Northern Province of India). They have a stronger and unique flavor. It can be cooked dry or with gravy, here I’m suggesting the gravy version to go with flavorful basmati rice or Paratha/Roti.
For Kala Chana: [for 6 servings]
Kala Chana dry – 1.5 cup
Dry Ingredients for gravy:
Whole garam masala – 1 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Kasoori methi(dried fenugreek leaves) – 1 tbsp
Chana Masala -3/4 tbsp
Wet Ingredients for gravy:
Onion -1/2 (pureed)
Tomato puree -1 cups
Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Green chili -1 tsp (finely chopped) [Optional]
olive oil – 2 tbspn
Salt as per taste
- Wash dry Kala Chana a couple of times and soak them overnight in water.
- Add soaked chana, turmeric powder, salt and 4 cups of water in the pressure cooker. Pressure cook it for 30 minutes on medium heat.
- For gravy, heat olive oil in a pan. Add whole garam masala. Let it crackle. Then add pureed onions and sauté it, till turns light golden. Add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped green chilies (optional). Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder in the gravy and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add the gravy to the boiled chana and add 2 cups of water and simmer it on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Finally, add chana masala and kasoori methi and let it simmer for 2 more minutes.
Garnish the Kala chana with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with halved lemons.
Enjoy with fresh naan, paratha or steamed basmati rice.