Shahi Kheer (Rice pudding, Indian Style)
Kheer is a very traditional Indian dessert. Shahi means royal. As this recipe calls for Kesar and Badam (Saffron and Almonds), is considered royal.
For Kheer:[serves 6]Whole Milk – ½ gallon
White Rice – 2/3 cup
Condensed Milk – 1 can
Kesar (saffron) – ¼ tspn
Almonds – 12
Sugar – ½ cup( if you like it really sweet)
1. Wash rice under cold water couple of times. Soak rice in a bowl adding some warm water.
2. Soak almonds in warm water for few hours.
2. In the heavy bottom pan or in the slow cooker add whole milk and let it simmer. Add Saffron to it.
3. Take soaked rice, remove excess water and mix the rice so that it will break in halves.
4. Add the rice, without water, to the simmering milk. Let it simmer on medium low heat for an hour and stir occasionally. Do not let it stick to the bottom.
5. After hour and half add condensed milk and mix well.
6. Add sugar if desired and bring it to a boil.
7. Peel the soaked almonds and cut them into slices.
Garnish the Shahi Kheer with sliced almonds.
Serve it chilled or warm.