Lentil Soup: Comfort in a bowl
A bowl of warm soup sounds so comforting in wintry weather. Curl up near a fireplace with a bowl of aromatic soup and a good book is heaven.
Enjoy the simple and healthy lentil soup recipe from my kitchen.
For lentil Soup: [for 4 servings]
Lentils (Whole masoor) dry – 1 cup
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Kasoori Methi -1/2 tbsp
Onion -1/2 (finely chopped)
Carrots – ½ cup (finely chopped)
Celery – ½ cup (finely chopped)
Tomatoes -1 cup (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Garlic – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Green chili -1 tsp (finely chopped) [Optional]
Cilantro- 2 tbsp (finely chopped) for garnish
Vegetable stock or water – 6 cups
olive oil – 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak lentils in water for couple of hours.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat oil. Add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Then add chopped onions, carrots and celery. Sauté till it becomes translucent. Add ginger, garlic and chopped green chilies (optional). Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, red chili powder and coriander powder and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add the soaked lentils and vegetable stock/water to it. Simmer the soup on low heat for 35-40 minutes.
- Finally, add kasoori methi and let it simmer for 2 more minutes.
Garnish the Lentil soup with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with halved lemons.
Enjoy piping hot soup in winter nights.
Note: This soup can also be prepared in slow cooker.
Also submitted this recipe for My Legume Love Affair-19th helping event roundup, hosted by EC/Susan in,