Paneer Kathi Roll
Paneer kathi roll is chapatti roll filled with spicy paneer filling and green chutney. Kathi rolls are great for lunch boxes or picnics. The filling can be altered according to your choice of vegetables. Enjoy this easy and versatile recipe.
For Kathi roll : Approx. 4 servings
For Spicy Paneer filling:
Indian cottage cheese (paneer) - 1/2 lbs or 200 gms
Sweet onion – 1 cup thickly sliced
Green bell pepper – 1 cut in thick slices
Tomato ketchup – 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds (Jira) – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Ginger – garlic paste – 1 tsp
Chaat masala – 1/2 tsp
Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
For Chapatis/ Roti:
Whole wheat flour (atta) – 1 cup
Water – 3/4 cup
Salt to taste
Green Chutney – 1 cup
- For Filling: Cut paneer in long sticks and soak them in medium hot water for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, when it starts crackling add sliced onions. Stir fry on high heat for a couple of minutes. Add ginger, garlic paste and green bell pepper and stir fry for couple of more minutes. Add paneer.
- Finally add tomato ketchup, chaat masala, red chili powder and salt. Mix well and keep aside.
- For chapattis or roti: In a bowl or food processor combine wheat flour and water and knead into soft dough. Divide the dough into eight equal portions. Roll out each portion into a thin chapatti or roti.
- Heat shallow pan or tawa and cook each chapatti lightly on both sides. Set aside.
- Apply green chutney on one side of the chapatti, put some filling in the center and roll up tightly.
- Warm these rolls on the tawa or pan just before you are ready to serve. Cut each roll diagonally and serve.
Wrap these rolls in aluminum foil and enjoy these warm kathi rolls with hot and sweet mango chutney.
Note: Fresh tortillas can be used in place of chapatties/rotis.
This recipe is also entered in “Let’s Go Stuffed Series – LGSS” event @ showandtell-vatsala.blogspot.com